A (late) Psycho Post

So, Hitchcock.

He’s an amazing filmmaker.  And while I haven’t seen that many of his films, only 4 of them. The first of them was Psycho. Which is usually the one that I call my favorite.

I love love love the music in this movie. The music during the opening credits squence is still in my head, a week after having first seen the movie. And during the shower scene, how the music helped Hitchcock not need to show much because the music was the major factor in us believing that Marion was being murdered, the music was doing the cutting for him.

But besides that aspect of the shower scene, I just love the twist of it. How we spend the first half of the movie caring for this one character, only for her to be killed off and it be realized that she wasn’t as important to the plot as we first thought. This is a story about Norman, but we learn everything through the eyes of the surrounding characters (and one shrink that just loves to be expositional).

I think that this movie is wonderful shot and I just love the story. How it’s full of twists and turns that people don’t really except, Like Vertigo, which is another post. However, I think that this is one of those movies that you shouldn’t watch too frequently, as I think most of this entertainment factor comes from all the twists within the story, and after the first time seeing it all the way through; you know everything, so the excitement is slightly gone because there are no surprises anymore.

But this movie is honestly amazing. I love the music, the acting, the directing, the sets. Everything is just wonderful.

5 thoughts on “A (late) Psycho Post

1. Hiya Zoe! and yeah you’re right about that this movie is not the one you want to rewatch, it doesn’t have much replay value now that you know the whole plot. Hitchcock is the master of suspense and well how surprise can you really be if you know all his tricks already? I give Psycho a RENT it rating, or maybe if you having friends over watch with them and keep an eye on their silly reactions throughout the whole time (Yes this is why I invite people to my house, to stare at their faces)

PSYCHO gets a 4/5* from me, cheerio!

2. First off, even before saying hi or hello, you did a great job of an analysis and putting your feeling into your post. When im reading this, i feel like your actually there saying it , which sounded less creepy in my head

I totally agree that the movie was made brilliantly. The killing off of what we suspected to be a main character is pure genius. There arent many directors today who have the guts to do what Hitchcock did then. I dont know why you disliked the shower scene part, aside the fact that the lady was being stabbed the whole method of her getting stabbed was genius, not by the knife but by the camera. That was another genius thing about it.

The score for this film is one of the best for CLASSICAL movies, i dont think it can compare with inception or Lord of the rings, gladiator, etc but this score is similar to JAWS and Mission Impossible in that whenever you think of that sound, your immediately going to think of psycho.

• It didn’t sound that creepy, I assure you of that, if only cause many people have told me that.
      Yay for agreeeing with me, I love it when people do that.
      I’m a bit curious as to why you think I didn’t like the showe scene though. I thought my post was nothing but positive about Hitchcock and that scene in particular.
      Now the Mission Impossible theme is stuck in my head. It is all your fault.
      Thanks for the comment!

3. Hi. This was an interesting post to read. I agree that this movie was wonderfully shot. I also liked how you pointed out how the movie is full of twists and turns that people don’t really expect. I was paying close attention to Marion the entire time. I almost felt worried for her that she couldn’t see driving in the pouring rain, and was glad she had a motel to stay at. Although she stole money, I couldn’t believe she was really killed.. since she was the main character I focused on. I thought she was going to come back as a “psycho ghost” or something.. I don’t know.. but I still couldn’t believe it when I saw the car sinking into the tar. Anyhow, good job with your post!

4. Wow Zoe, Great job!…First off I love that you incorporated an analysis of the music. your completely right of how it pretty much does the cutting and murdering. The music is really influential and important in all movies, especially this one. Also I like how you stated that we spent the whole first half of the movie putting feelings into this one character. All of a sudden the whole story turns around and it becomes a murder horror movie. I think the best is when we find out that Mrs. Bates is really Norman, it completely blew my mind… that’s just one piece out of all the amazing works created from Hitchcock.